Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Embossing!


 A good friend of mine is due in 7 weeks with her first baby.  Her baby shower was yesterday and we were asked to bring a book as our card.  What a great way to start a child's library!  I wanted to add a little touch to the inside, so I chose to make a small card, embossed with baby footprints and filled out to Mom and baby from me, that would be permanently attached to the inside flap of the book.

I love embossing and sometimes I assume everyone else knows how to do this fun technique too! However, my customers remind me often that I should never assume anything.  So, here is a quick lesson on embossing, for those who have not tried it yet!

The tools you need are:  Heating Tool (and no, a hair dryer will not work as it does not get hot enough to melt the powder), embossing powder, versa mark ink OR one of the new Stampin' Up! ink pads (must be the new pads), a stamp.


1.  Take your stamp, ink it up and stamp onto your paper.
2.  Sprinkle the embossing powder over the inked image, making sure to 
completely cover it with the powder.  Tap off the excess powder.
3.  Heat the image with the heat tool.  As it heats, you will see the powder melt.

The right foot has the powder completely heated and melted.  The left foot is not completely melted yet.  Can you see the difference in color between the right foot and left foot?
The melted powder becomes bright and shiny.  Once cooled, you can feel it raised to the touch.
The finished card.  I did write an additional personal message in the center before attaching it into the book.  Conner is a lucky boy to be getting such a wonderful Mom!

Stay tuned for information on my upcoming Embossing Class.  We will make 3 projects using this technique in various ways.  

Thanks for visiting!


2 comments:

  1. Hello from Brewer Maine! Love your blog post...so informative for "neophytes" (new stampers).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello back to you theoblatelife! Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete